1ST HALF 2015 KEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Six of the top ten largest deals in 1st Half 2015 were in the Payments segment. These six transactions, with a combined value of $10.46 billion, accounted for 55 percent of aggregate value year-to-date.
- The most active financial sponsors in 1st Half 2015 were BlackFin Capital Partners and Genstar Capital, each of which completed three industry deals. Five of these six acquisitions occurred in the Capital Markets segment.
1ST HALF 2015 KEY TRENDS
- Total transaction volume in 1st Half 2015 decreased by seven percent over 2nd Half 2014, from 206 to 192.
- Total transaction value in 1st Half 2015 rose by 17 percent over 2nd Half 2014, from $16.21 billion to $18.90 billion.
- When compared to 1st Half 2014, volume improved by 14 percent and value gained 63 percent in 1st Half 2015.
- The median revenue multiple increased from 2.8x in 2nd Half 2014 to 4.5x in 1st Half 2015.
- The segment with the largest rise in volume in 1st Half 2015 over 2nd Half 2014 was Capital Markets with a 31 percent rise, from 58 to 76 transactions. Also of note, Capital Markets reclaimed the top position over Payments as the most active sector.
M&A Market Overview
Berkery Noyes tracked 913 Financial Technology and Information transactions between 2013 and 1st Half 2015, of which 228 disclosed financial terms, and calculated the aggregate transaction value to be $59.31 billion. Based on known transaction values, we project values of 685 undisclosed transactions to be $14.19 billion, totaling $73.50 billion worth of transactions tracked over the past two and a half years.
Disclosed median enterprise value multiples for all segments combined in this report during the last 30 months were 3.0x revenue and 12.7x EBITDA.