Q3 2012 KEY HIGHLIGHTS
- The most active acquirer through Q3 2012 was WPP Group, plc with 33 transactions, 13 of which occurred during Q3 2012.
- Dentsu Inc.’s announced acquisition of Aegis Group PLC was the largest transaction in Q3 2012, with an acquisition price of $4.9 billion.
- Strategic acquisitions year-to-date represented 87 percent of the total volume and 71 percent of the total value, respectively.
Q3 2012 KEY TRENDS
- Total transaction volume in Q3 2012 decreased by 10 percent over Q2 2012, from 893 to 804.
- Total transaction value in Q3 2012 increased by 14 percent over Q2 2012, from $37.1 billion to $42.2 billion.
MULTIPLES & VALUE TRENDS
- The median revenue multiple in Q3 2012 increased by 50 percent over Q2 2012, from 1.4x to 2.1x.
- The median EBITDA multiple in Q3 2012 moved slightly over Q2 2012, from 9.0x to 8.9x. However, the median value rose for the second consecutive quarter.
TOP TEN DEALS THROUGH Q3 2012
The top ten deals by value have seen two new additions since our half year report: Dentsu Inc.’s announced acquisition of Aegis Group PLC and The Carlyle Group’s announced acquisition of Getty Images.
These two transactions, with an aggregate value of $8.2 billion, represented seven percent of transaction value in the 1st 3 Quarters of 2012 and 19 percent of Q3 2012 transaction value in the Information Industry.