David is a Managing Director at Berkery Noyes with nearly four decades of experience in the trade show and events industry. He has held executive management, board positions, and senior leadership roles throughout his career and brings extensive operational, capital markets, and M&A experience. David most recently served as Founder and CEO of DLJ Events, a media and events advisory and management firm. Prior to this, he was CEO and President of Emerald, the largest B2B trade show, conference, and event operator in the United States.
As President of Nielsen Expositions in 2013, David led the sale process from the Nielsen Company and was appointed CEO under new private equity ownership. He renamed the organization Emerald Expositions, led the carve-out process, and successfully stood up the company as an independent organization with over 500 employees in 10 US offices. Through a combination of organic growth and successfully completing and integrating over 16 acquisitions in 5 years, more than doubling the size of the company, he completed a successful IPO in 2017.
Representative transactions completed by David on the buyside while at Emerald include:
- Acquisition of Boutique Design New York (BDNY) and related assets from ST Media Group International and Hospitality Media Group
- Acquisition of CE Pro, Commercial Integrator, Campus Safety, Security Sales and Integration, and Total Tech Summit from EH Media
- Acquisition of InterDrone Conference & Exposition from BZ Media LLC
- Acquisition of CEDIA Expo from CEDIA
- Acquisition of Connecting Point Marketing Group from Corridor Capital, Aldine Capital Partners, and management
- Acquisition of RFID Journal LIVE! from RFID Journal, LLC
- Acquisition of National Pavement Expo from AC Business Media
- Acquisition of Digital Dealer Conference & Expo and Dealer Magazine from Dealer Communications
- Acquisition of Swim Collective and Active Collection Trade Shows from their founder
- Acquisition of The International Gift Exposition in the Smokies (IGES) from M&M Gift Shows
- Acquisition of National Industrial Fastener & Mill Supply Expo from the show’s co-owners
- Acquisition of HOW Design Events from F+W Media, Inc.
- Acquisition of International Pizza Expo from Macfadden Communications Group, LLC
- Acquisition of Healthcare Design Conference and Expo, Healthcare Design Magazine, Environments For Aging, and Construction SuperConference from Vendome Group, LLC
- Acquisition of GLM from Providence Equity Partners
David received his BA in Business Administration and Management from Principia College.
* David Loechner ran some of the listed transactions prior to joining Berkery Noyes.